The Argument Over Whether Tesla FSD Will Run Over A Child Or Dummy Child Misses The Point


There has been lots of buzz over a video made by Tesla Critic Dan O'Dowd of a Tesla allegedly in FSD mode hitting a dummy in the shape of a child. We've seen Tesla fans duplicate it with their own kids, and Tesla asking the original video be taken down, and NHTSA saying not to use your own kids and more.

But it all misses the point. Of course a prototype fails in ways like this. The question is, are people actually getting hurt, and how do we really test these things to get them working? Is it OK to have customers participate in testing?

The Argument Over Whether Tesla FSD Will Run Over A Child Or Dummy Child Misses The Point


Webpage - wandb dot ai

Waymo's Drago Anguelov podcast and transcript
Last Updated: Jul 14, 2022

Episode transcript and audio
Drago Anguelov — Robustness, Safety, and Scalability at Waymo


How refreshing to read something so well-written about an important subject that is not generally well-understood!

Tesla upgrading to Samsung 5mp cameras in the middle of the FSD beta cycle with no scrutiny is funny.

LG Innotek and Samsung as KED previously reported

LG Innotek is in talks with Tesla over a camera module supply deal worth 1 trillion won, the company said in a public disclosure on Aug. 25.

The company acknowledged press reports about its negotiations with Tesla, but said that nothing has been fixed.

"We plan to make another disclosure about the matter when specific details are finalized or within one month," LG Innotek added.

KED in June
Until last year, up to 70% of Tesla camera modules were supplied by LG Innotek, while the remaining 30% were supplied by Samsung.

With the latest deal, Samsung will become Tesla’s largest supplier, accounting for nearly 80%, while LG will assume the remaining 20%, industry officials said.

Elon Musk Says Self-Driving Teslas May Be Released In US, Europe By Year-End

Authored by Katabella Roberts via The Epoch Times,

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has revealed plans for the wide release of self-driving electric vehicles by the end of the year, pending regulator approval.

Musk made the comments at an energy conference in Norway on Monday, where he noted that he is currently focusing his attention more on his SpaceX Starship spacecraft and self-driving Tesla electric cars.

“The two technologies I am focused on, trying to ideally get done before the end of the year, are getting our Starship into orbit … and then having Tesla cars to be able to do self-driving,” Musk said.

He added that he hopes the electric auto maker’s self-driving technology would be released in the United States and possibly in Europe.

“Have self-driving in wide release at least in the U.S. and … potentially in Europe, depending on regulatory approval,” Musk told the audience.

A hope, pending regulatory approval. So don't hold your breath.

368 pages.
635 footnotes.
On-line clickable link list for the footnotes here:

users dot ece dot cmu dot edu/~koopman/SafeEnough/

Add new comment